The municipality of Gualta stands on the right bank of the River Ter and embraces a vast expanse of the alluvial plains of both this river and the Daró. To the west it is bordered by a small ridge of hills whose highest peak is the Puig de la Font Pasquala, with an altitude of 91 metres, which has a splendid 360º view of the Baix Empordà plain.
The village of Gualta developed around its church, first documented in 1046, although the present-day building is from the 18th century, with certain neo-classical details. It has a population of around 400 inhabitants.
Almost in the centre of the village stands the structure of an old flour mill from the 17th century, which is still in operation and which was formerly one of the most important in the Baix Empordà. This building also conserves remains of a medieval fortress related with an old castle which no longer exists but is recorded in various documents.
In the northern part of the village stands the old bridge built over the Daró during the 16th and 17th centuries. Its original road surface still survives, deeply scored by the passage of innumerable cart wheels.
Ajuntament de Gualta
T. +34 972 75 88 80